Changing your baby’s diaper is an important skill you’ll get the hang of after the first few days with your baby, since you’ll change her diaper very frequently. Below is a simple guide to help you learn how to diaper your baby.
You can change your baby on a changing table or on any surface covered with a changing mat or towel. It's important to have all the supplies you'll need within reach before you begin, this includes:
- A clean diaper
- Baby wipes
- A plastic bag for the soiled diaper
- Diaper cream
- For boys, an extra cloth in case of sprinkling
- A change of clothes for your baby
Remember never to leave your baby alone on a changing table or surface, even for an instant.
Steps for Changing Your Baby’s Diaper
- Lay your baby on a flat, soft and secure surface.
- Remove the diaper by lifting the adhesive tabs, and then fold the adhesive strips back onto themselves so that they don't stick to your baby.
- Using a JOHNSON’S® baby skincare wipes , clean the genital area by wiping from front to back.
- Place a clean diaper under your baby and pat your baby dry with a clean cloth. It’s a good idea to apply a thin layer of diaper cream to protect your baby’s bottom from the causes of diaper rash.
Watch this video to know more about preventing and treating diaper rash -
- Secure the clean diaper by fastening the adhesive strips from the back of the diaper to the front panel. It should be snug, but not tight.
- Finally, place your baby in a secure place so you can throw away the dirty diaper and wash your own hands.
Watch this video tutorial to know more about changing your baby's nappy -
Diaper Changing Tips
- Never leave your baby alone on a changing table or surface, even for an instant
- First-time parents are often surprised by how many diapers they go through in a day — always have plenty available
- Before and after changing baby’s diaper, be sure to wash your hands
Diapering Can Mean So Much More
Diapering is one of the rituals you’ll do most often with your baby. It’s a multisensory experience for your little one, as you gently wipe her clean and sprinkle on the sweet smell of baby powder, engaging the power of touch and scent.
Routine touch helps your baby develop self-confidence and the ability to relate to others, while enjoyable and familiar scents have been shown to improve her mood and alertness. When these senses are engaged, your bond is strengthened and so is your baby’s happy, healthy development.
Did you know? Repeated use of cloth and water can erode your baby's skin's natural protective layer and lead to rashes.
That's why Johnson's Baby Skincare Wipes is enriched with moisturizing ingredients that help protect against redness, and rash while effectively cleaning your baby.
Moms around the world trust JOHNSON’S® to care for their babies
We are committed to working with moms, healthcare experts and scientists to ensure our products continue achieving the highest standards in safety, quality and care.