Explore nature together at each stage of your baby’s first year. Time outside provides fresh air and a change of pace that’s both calming and stimulating for your baby’s senses, helping his /skin-care/keeping-baby-skin-healthyhealthy skin development, while helping boost your mood, too.
Baby’s Age: Birth to 3 Months
At this stage, lack of sleep, fluctuating hormones and attending to your baby’s every need can lead to a roller coaster ride of emotions for mom. Don’t worry if you feel a bit overwhelmed and emotional in the first 3 months of motherhood. After all, every day is a learning experience for you and your baby. Always remember, this is a joyous time, as each day the bond of love builds between you and your baby.
Here are few ideas for outdoor play for babies:
Common Outdoor activities for babies:
- Make time for short walks with your baby in a stroller or a carrier. Even 10 minutes can be beneficial.
- Exercise and fresh air are great for your post-partum health, which often takes a back seat to your baby’s needs. A happy mommy equals a happy baby. Why? Your little one can sense when you are tense or upset.
- Babies, especially newborns, are soothed by white noise, which mimics sounds heard in the womb. Luckily, nature is filled with white noise, such as the wind in the trees, a babbling brook, and rain on a rooftop.
Watch this video to know more:
Baby’s Age: 3 to 6 Months
At this stage, your baby starts to smile, coo and babble, and he is able to see things around him more clearly, too. He’s not usually crawling or walking yet, but he’s definitely craning his neck to view the exciting world around him.
Outdoor activity for babies:
- Point out trees, grass, and flowers, saying the words for each object several times. He may not be able to say the words yet, but he’s absorbing everything he hears and sees
- Enjoy his smiles and watch as his eyes widen with a sense of wonder. So will yours
Baby’s Age: 7 to 9 Months
At this stage, your baby usually has head control and can sit up on his own. It’s a time when little explorers are bursting with the desire to get moving, and may even be crawling already. Meanwhile, moms often feel that it’s time to take care of their own health by exercising more often
- Shop around for jogging strollers, baby backpacks or trailers that you can tow on the back of your bike
- When exercising, make sure your baby is secure and get your heart pumping
- He might also take a nap during your workout, which means he’ll be rested for playtime later
Baby’s Age: 10 to 12 Months
At this stage, your baby is beginning to recognize that words refer to specific objects. Also, at this age “object permanence” is fully intact, which means that he now knows that objects still exist even when they are out of sight.
Outdoor play ideas for babies:
- Spread out a blanket on the lawn or in a park and have a picnic
- Your baby’s eating a variety of solid foods by now, so bring out a few of his favorite treats, along with a pile of books to read together outside
- Gather some natural objects — a smooth rock, a pinecone, a dandelion — and cover them up with a cloth. Say to your baby, "Where did it go?" Watch as he delights in pulling the cloth and discovering the treasure underneath. Our JOHNSON’S® baby skincare wipes are perfect for quick cleanups when exploring the outdoors.
- Bring bubbles to blow — this classic activity never fails to please a baby
Outdoor play for babies are extremely helpful for the development of your baby. Those buttery soft fingers that give you a feathery feeling are unique, hence they require a shield that offers protection to the extremely fragile and sensitive skin from the outside world to the baby. So make sure, when you do go outdoors, you and your baby are well protected from the sun. While these outdoor games for babies be sure to be safe and avoid the sun during the hottest part of the day, wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen as your pediatrician advises.
Moms around the world trust JOHNSON’S® to care for their babies
We are committed to working with moms, healthcare experts and scientists to ensure our products continue achieving the highest standards in safety, quality and care.